It was great to see the enthusiasm for developing the Lakota Wikipedia at the workshop last week! This post consolidates some of the planning and resources that was discussed.
One requirement for getting the wiki promoted to official status is to develop a community of regular editors. It is simple: visit the Incubator site, create an account, and start writing! You can start your own article or edit existing articles.
- Main page (in Incubator)
- Manual for small and new Wikipedias: unofficial, may have some ideas of interest
- Incubator Manual: official policies
The interface of the Lakota Wikipedia must be translated into Lakota. Wikipedia uses a platform called translatewiki.net to make the process as easy as possible. There are several groups of “messages,” or words/phrases, that must be translated from English:
- MediaWiki (most important messages): translate 100%
- MediaWiki core: translate 13% (ultimately to 100%, but 13% is the initial threshold)
- Amir Aharoni’s Quasi-Pro Tips for Translating the Software That Powers Wikipedia: An interesting and useful article
- Lakota translation statistics
- Wikipedia Education Program: lots of ideas for teaching and learning, handouts, etc.
What am I forgetting? Let’s keep the conversation going!