eduActiv8: Educational Activities for Kids [localization]

l10n

I am curious about the typing part of the program? We do have a different keyboard that we use for typing Lakota. Is that some thing we need to do also? I think we can figure out a way to use most of the existing pictures, and will try to figure that out the next few days. Thanks for your help on this, we are very excited!

I am curious about the typing part of the program? We do have a different keyboard that we use for typing Lakota. Is that some thing we need to do also?

If you would like this part of program available in Lakota I’d probably have to set the keyboard layout up, but with the typing ‘course’ content I’d need some help for instance a short public domain book in Lakota, I used Cinderella in English. For the layout I’d need a picture of the keyboard plus some advice as to what combination of keys to press to get the Lakota specific characters.

I think we can figure out a way to use most of the existing pictures, and will try to figure that out the next few days. Thanks for your help on this, we are very excited!

Thanks, that sounds great.

Alphabet update: We were able to use the existing flashcards for all but 7 letters. I substituted the new flashcard numbers into the coding, and for the 7 other images, I put the file names in as placeholders. Will send those pictures as attachments. They all come from art4apps so they should be good for the software.

Also, zero: tákuni, one hundred: opáwiŋǧe

Is there a way for me to attach the images to this thread?

Thanks, I’ll add the updates as soon as I am off next (Monday). If the pictures are from art4apps I’ll find them by name, it’s OK. But anyway to upload anything there’s an icon with an up arrow above the post edit box that lets you do just that.

ȟéíŋyaŋǧítópaútažaŋžáŋyámni

Thanks for the images, I had a little play with them this evening and cropped them to the right size, just noticed one thing though. With the compound letters, is it a crime against the language to separate them in certain activities? Is the following allowed? Where the ‘a’ and ‘ŋ’ are treated as separate letters and need to be dragged in place separately.
compound letters

That’s kind of an interesting question. Looking though the list of translations, this seems to be the first language that has digraphs? Spanish has an “ll,” but I think it is increasingly acceptable to separate it. Dutch (not on your list) has an “ij”. From Wikipedia:

In some languages’ orthographies, digraphs (and occasionally trigraphs) are considered individual letters, meaning that they have their own place in the alphabet, and cannot be separated into their constituent graphemes, e.g. when sorting, abbreviating or hyphenating. Examples are found in Hungarian (cs, dz, dzs, gy, ly, ny, sz, ty, zs), Czech (ch), Slovak (ch, dz, dž), Albanian (dh, gj, ll, nj, rr, sh, th, xh, zh) and Gaj’s Latin Alphabet (lj, nj, dž). In Dutch, when the digraph ij is capitalized, both letters are capitalized (IJ).

@Peter_Hill, how are you currently dealing with this in contexts like crosswords or word finds? It looks like these word games from the LLC bookstore separate the digraphs? If so, it is probably OK to do so here?

I think it is fine to split up the digraphs. In our own teaching, we have actually taken a different tack from the LLC, in that the only digraph we teach as separate “letters” are aŋ, iŋ, & uŋ (because “ŋ” does not exist as a separate sound unto itself). But we teach all the rest as separate from one another (as consonant clusters), e.g. “kȟ” = k+ȟ, “pȟ” = p+ȟ, etc. So having the nasal sounds (aŋ, iŋ, uŋ) stay together as digraphs would be ideal, but I don’t think it’s a huge problem if they’re not. Matt could weigh in on this too.

Struggling a bit with the time translations…I might just give you the terminology below and then you can figure out how to add them to the coding. The numerals (1, 2, 3, 4) are the same as English, and their names (waŋží, núŋpa, yámni, tópa) are the same when referring to time as when counting.

Here is the relevant vocabulary:

time - mázaškaŋškaŋ
hour - oápȟe
minute - oápȟe čík’ala
second - okpí
o’clock - mázaškaŋškaŋ # (e.g. mázaškaŋškaŋ waŋží = 1:00)
quarter past - mázaškaŋškaŋ # sáŋm šókela (e.g. mázaškaŋškaŋ waŋží sáŋm šókela = 1:15)
half past - mázaškaŋškaŋ # sáŋm okhíse (e.g. mázaškaŋškaŋ waŋží sáŋm okhíse = 1:30)
3 quarters past - mázaškaŋškaŋ # sáŋm šókela yámni (e.g. mázaškaŋškaŋ waŋží sáŋm šókela yámni = 1:45)

Lakota is not terribly concerned with specific clock time, and certainly wasn’t historically when that concept did not yet exist. That is why the terminology is so much longer than in English. Saying x minutes after #:00 or x minutes before #:00 is really not said at all, with the closest idiomatic equivalent being “mázaškaŋškaŋ # sáŋm iyáye” (past #:00, i.e. a little after #) and “mázaškaŋškaŋ # khiyéla” (close to #:00, i.e. a little before #).

That said, those could be expressed as such:

X minutes past #:00 - mázaškaŋškaŋ # sáŋm oápȟe čík’ala X (e.g. mázaškaŋškaŋ waŋží sáŋm oápȟe čík’ala tópa = 1:04)
X minutes before #:00 - mázaškaŋškaŋ # itȟókab oápȟe čík’ala X (e.g. mázaškaŋškaŋ waŋží itȟókab oápȟe čík’ala tópa = 12:56)

Does that all make sense?

Thanks for the replies.

As for the digraphs, at the moment there’s not that many language activities that use them, three types of them split the digraphs, the alphabet ones obviously keep them together. If it’s ok, I’d keep them like that for the time being, just to concentrate on bigger problems and to get this program released as soon as possible.

I think the keyboard activity will have to stay out as well until next update, since this would take some time to set up and delay the release.

The time terminology…
I’ll see what I can do with the terminology I have from you, It looks clear enough to put it all together, when ready I’ll let you catch any misunderstandings if needed.

Wow, those screenshots look awesome!

If you can find matching pairs then probably the time function is working fine.

I can weigh in on the digraphs. I think that you they can be split for most things as when the kids start typing, it is split on the keyboard. Just as long as it isn’t split on anything that has to do with alphabet or alphabet order, etc.

One other thing…In the category of “Jobs” flashcards, we are not using this image, because we feel it is too stereotypical, especially for our Native American kids. Can we just get it removed from the set on our version?

chief

@Peter_Hill - to be honest with you the images were used from art4apps as they were, without much thought put into them, but I do agree with you that this one is not in place, and I will get it removed from the program all together.

@Matthew_Rama - this is how it works at the moment - all the alphabet + alphabet order activities use the digraphs together, but the ones where you have to put letters together to create a word are separate.

@lackaff going back to our conversations earlier, I’ve had some luck building an executable with pyinstaller for Linux and it seems to be working fine, now just need to test it on Windows, and obviously tests on Mac OS. The problem with pyinstaller is that it is forwards compatible but not backwards compatible. What is the version of the Mac OS you are using so I know what machine it needs to be compiled on?

I’m on 10.12 (Sierra). Compiling for any previous OSX version that pyinstaller supports should be fine, though. 10.12 was a free upgrade, so most people would be using that.

10.11 (El Capitan) supported a few additional, older systems. @Matthew_Rama, would it be useful to aim for 10.11 support for older (2007-2009) Macs? If the Mac hardware you are using is all post-2009, 10.12 should be fine.

I’ll drop the art4apps project a line about that “chief” image. It shouldn’t even be in the image collection.

Thanks for that, I think I will have access to Sierra, but will have to wait a while to arrange that, or alternatively I’ll try some virtual cloud service to do the Mac debugging and compilation - that is if I can find something decent.

I’ll update you when I get something working.

Thank you guys both very much, again!
P

I think all computers here operate on Sierra.