eduActiv8: Educational Activities for Kids [localization]

l10n

eduActiv8 is an open-source program containing educational activities for children.

https://www.eduactiv8.org/en/home/

Lakota translations should be submitted here:

eduActiv8 (formerly pySioGame) is a free cross-platform Open Source educational program for children.

The program currently consists of over 100 short educational activities ranging from sets of flashcards presenting new knowledge as well as “simulation” activities where kids can experiment with variables and see how things change to better understand a concept, to good old drill activities in a form of interactive worksheets to allow the practice of newly attained skills by manually moving things around the screen.

eduActiv8 is suitable for children in primary school but can be easily used before that with some guidance from parents/teachers. Currently, the activities within the program mainly focus on basic concepts of maths (learning numbers, addition, subtraction, multiplication and division, fractions, time and much more) but also there are some language exercises (alphabet and some word activities) and general logic games and memory training exercises, puzzles, colour games, etc.

The program is running on Windows™, MacOS™, and Linux.

Areas covered by eduActiv8:

Language activities:
    learn the alphabet in a selected language
    learn to write printed and cursive letters (not all available languages are supported, but anyway this is still best done on paper)
    Touch Typing Tutor – learn positions of letters/keys on keyboard (UK, US, German, Greek, French, Polish and Russian keyboard layouts supported so far and only on desktop computers))
    learn new words in multiple categories – a variation of spelling, matching and listening activities
Maths activities:
    learn numbers 1 – 20
    learn number spellings 0 – 100
    learn to count by dragging objects
    learn to add, subtract, multiply and divide
    columnar addition and subtraction, long multiplication and division
    compare and sort numbers
    basic fractions, percentages and ratios
    learn basic shapes and solids
    learn to draw shapes
Time activities:
    play with clock hands and learn how to tell time
    learn to set the clock by dragging the clock hands
    match digital time to analogue time
Art and Colour activities:
    basic painting activity
    learn colour names
    learn how colours are formed both by light and paint/ink
Memory activities:
    memorizing a sequence of highlighted squares
    memorizing a set of directions
    memorizing locations of matching images
Other activities:
    matching shapes
    tracing lines
    finding the matching images
    multiple variations of the “Fifteen” game

Made it up to line 170! Some clarifications needed to proceed…Can you explain the following for more precise translation:

Automatic Levels (171)
Connect (176)
With a Twist (179)

Just looking for some context to work from.
P

Wow, awesome! There are some tricky ones there.

Taking a stab here, based on a search of the source code:

Automatic Levels (171)

Game mode, game levels are automatically generated

Connect (176)

Title of a matching game where related concepts are linked

With a Twist (179)

Game mode, indicates player rotates game pieces

Thank you! How about Touch Typing Tutor (236)?

And any idea what the “pieces” look like for 274?

Touch Typing Tutor

Title of activity that teaches touch typing

pieces

(from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMEsv6m0qss&t=4m19s)

Thanks!!

And any idea what the “pieces” look like for 274?

Also, how should I represent “%s” and “%d”? Just leave them as placeholders?

No problem. Is the screenshot in my previous post working? That’s is what 274 looks like. If you click the link to the Youtube video, you can scrub a few seconds earlier or later to see the other “fractions and ratios” messages in context.

Exactly, just leave the % variables in as placeholders.

Oh ok sorry, had misread your first reply & didn’t realize it was answering both queries.

A few more ?s:

• 297 & 298 are the same term; is that right?
  • 314 reads: “Type your answer and hit enter”, but I don’t see a line where “Enter” is translated?
  • The line 286 column C square is formatted with your name appended? Not sure why.
  • I think I will leave 357, 359, 374, & 400 as is (untranslated) unless you think there is a pressing need.
  • Do you know what “Constructions” (366) refers to?
  • None of the “Word Builder” (361-372) vocabulary has a place to be translated. What about this terminology? (e.g. 1:08 in the YT video)

Almost done!

297 & 298 are the same (sorry)
314 - “Enter” refers to the hardware keyboard key ENTER
286 ?
357, 359, 374, 400 - a number of languages sticks to the English version to these
366 - Constructions - is a category name for word builder games - these include houses, barns, garages, walls, stairs, bridges, etc.
Word Builder words/terminology - they are actually separate from the *.po file and located at the end of /eduactiv8/i18n/custom/??.py

By the way, thanks for your work on this project.

Thanks for jumping in, @imiolek! @Peter_Hill, here is that file in an editable format (if I set it up correctly):

https://kobra.io/#/e/-Kqd0Vm2qywny2_BMgRv

The translation needs for that file are described well in the file itself:

• Number words in lines 15-19 should be translated
  • Lines 23-32 need to be transformed into a list of appropriate words that start with letters of the Lakota alphabet
  • Lines 37-40 describe the alphabet, can be edited for Lakota
  • Terms in lines 97-160 can be translated

The section in lines 71-94 relates to telling time. This might make sense as-is, or we might need to discuss further.

There’s one thing in the original file that may be a bit misleading, I’ll have to update it one day. There is a mention about flashcard_images.jpg that contained all images for the alphabet as a sprite sheet - this is no longer the case since as languages were added new pictures made it too large so it was cut up and put into separate images in /eduactiv8/res/images/fc
If you haven’t got access to the source code these can be found here:

Ideally, to keep the size of the project down, when looking for words starting with each letter of the alphabet please try to use as many of these images as possible.
As discussed with @lackaff, the position of the number in the “frame sequence” corresponds to the word in the “word sequence” and the numbers are taken from the file names of images in the fc folder.

Great! To make it easier to browse the existing images/numbers for the alphabet cards, I uploaded them here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B5tRZ0rzBWNjNm5QZUhiMHNReHc?usp=sharing

Also, @Peter_Hill, that kobra.io link we were working on seems to have a glitch this morning – it says I made it “private” (which I haven’t.) I emailed their support and hopefully it will be fixed soon. In the meantime, here’s another version on GDocs. If you work on this one, we can merge it with the previous work when it’s back online: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1P1ECAkwU4x5_Z-St5TdvBxwKFlOlpQleZWWOxEdqV-w/edit?usp=sharing

Hi Derek,

Hmm I don’t know what the glitch was, but I am duplicating my code edits between the Kobra link & the Google Doc so they should come through on at least one of them.

Also, I am a little confused about the folder you sent me with the flashcard images. I get that the first 26 are for the letters of the (English) alphabet, but not sure about the rest. There are fewer than 100 total, and the main lists of flashcards I am translating (animals, sports, body, people. etc.) number several hundred in toto. Would love to have access to all of them (with captions if possible), because it could help answer a couple of questions I have, and nail down some translations. (Here’s a simple one - both “llama” and “lama” exist in the animals list. Any idea what’s going on there?)

In regards to Imiolek’s comment about the alphabet flashcards, Matt wanted me to use the exact alphabet list (and images) that correspond with the Lakota alphabet flashcard set that we use in our classroom. This means there is essentially zero overlap with the existing English flashcard images. I know that is not ideal, but is it ok? Let me know.

Best,
Peter

Also, I am a little confused about the folder you sent me with the flashcard images. I get that the first 26 are for the letters of the (English) alphabet, but not sure about the rest.

The rest are just images that needed to be added when there was no overlap with other languages, so you don’t really need to worry about them, and in fact if you want to use your own images, you can easily ignore this lot.

There are fewer than 100 total, and the main lists of flashcards I am translating (animals, sports, body, people. etc.) number several hundred in toto. Would love to have access to all of them (with captions if possible),

You can get them from here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzzRSdFJhjQ8dGFvbDNtcjZrcTQ
sorry it’s zipped but it’s nearly 600 images it may be easier and quicker to work with them off-line - the image names are their captions.

because it could help answer a couple of questions I have, and nail down some translations. (Here’s a simple one - both “llama” and “lama” exist in the animals list. Any idea what’s going on there?)

this particular one is pretty much the same animal it is just a different spelling, sorry, I didn’t catch that one in time and it ended up in the list - the images are slightly different though. There may be few repetitions like that unfortunately, but if you come across any just use the same word twice so the order stays the same, please don’t remove them, otherwise the images will not mach their captions.

In regards to Imiolek’s comment about the alphabet flashcards, Matt wanted me to use the exact alphabet list (and images) that correspond with the Lakota alphabet flashcard set that we use in our classroom. This means there is essentially zero overlap with the existing English flashcard images. I know that is not ideal, but is it ok? Let me know.

It is ok, this will be a case of adding them to the “fewer than 100” lot potentially taking it over one hundred. The only implication we have here is the licence of the images you have. Can they be freely distributed with a GPL program when compiled together? If it’s ok, just name them from fc095.jpg onwards for each image in order and the frame sequence will be quite easy [95, 96, 97, 98, … ]

Ireneusz,

Very helpful – thank you!

Hi @Peter_Hill, Ireneusz is integrating the translation, and there are a few things that might need more attention. In particular, the Lakota for “registered” and “confirm new password” do not fit well in the interface (see attached screenshots). Currently we have:

“Registered:” “Tóhaŋ tȟoká čhaž’óigwa uŋ héhaŋ:”

“confirm new password:” “wičhóiye-wóanaȟma lečhála kiŋ phiyá owá yo/ye:”

Can you think of a briefer translation? Thanks!

Sure, change it thusly:

“Registered:” “Tȟoká čhaž’óigwa:”
“confirm new password:” “phiyá owá yo/ye:”

It helps to see it in context like that. For example, I replaced “Re-write the new password you just created” with “Re-write it”, because that is all that is needed in this particular context, with it being right next to the new PW box.

Thank you, that fits in beautifully.

Update: All of the categories of flash card vocab. (code lines 95-157) are now translated. I believe the only 2 things left to finish are:

• time terminology (code lines 77-91) - thought Derek you said that you wanted me to hold off on this or figure something out about it?
  • flashcards to match letters of Lakota alphabet (using as many pre-existing flashcards as possible)

Anything else I’m forgetting?

PS: Now that I see it, Ireneusz, could you change “Tȟoká čhaž’óigwa” to “Tȟoká čhaž’óigwa uŋ héhaŋ” (unless it doesn’t fit, in which case, never mind).

Update: All of the categories of flash card vocab. (code lines 95-157) are now translated.

That’s great thank you, I’ll put it all together on Monday/Tuesday when I get a chance.

I believe the only 2 things left to finish are:
time terminology (code lines 77-91) - thought Derek you said that you wanted me to hold off on this or figure something out about it?

With the time2str() function we can do one of the two, if the way you tell time in Lakota is similar to English you can try to change the function yourself, but if for instance the numerals change form when used in the time context then we may need to redo the function a bit, maybe create an extra list of numerals that would be used in this function. If it’s somewhat complex let me know how you say it with all cases (range of minutes, quarter past and to, etc.) and I’ll write it for you.

flashcards to match letters of Lakota alphabet (using as many pre-existing flashcards as possible)

Well, as discussed earlier if you have a list and a set of matching images ready that you want to use, it’s perfectly fine - I’m sure they will fit Lakota better then trying to get something out of the current pictures. If you would rather not share your set of pictures, we could disable this activity on public version of the program and create one just for your school, or just using your list of words, I’ll try to find matching images for the public version, and you would just swap the images in your version.

Anything else I’m forgetting?

probably not a lot, unless you could translate “zero” and “one hundred” for me please.

PS: Now that I see it, Ireneusz, could you change “Tȟoká čhaž’óigwa” to “Tȟoká čhaž’óigwa uŋ héhaŋ” (unless it doesn’t fit, in which case, never mind).

I’ll get that changed, it’ll be fine, thanks.